Friday, April 22, 2011

Banana and Meat Stew




I had this dish the first time I visited Tanzania. I was skeptical when I was told I would be having banana and meat stew for lunch, but I'm a firm believer in trying everything once. This recipe will make you try it once, twice, then three times, then again...

Banana and Meat Stew
adapted from Cooking the East African Way
by Constance Nabwire and Bertha Vining Montgomery
Serves 4-6

1lb beef (preferably grass fed), cut into cubes
2c water
2 onions, sliced
2 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp oil
2 medium green plantains, or 4 small green bananas; washed peeled, sliced and placed in a bowl with cold water (I'd use the plantains unless you're getting your bananas from Africa!)
1c coconut milk
salt and pepper to taste

Place the meat and water in a pot and simmer for an hour. Saute the onion and tomato in hot oil in a large skillet until the onions soften and take on some color. Add cooked meat, plantains and coconut milk. If the coconut milk does not cover the meat, add some of the meat stock. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer gently until bananas are cooked and the meat is tender. If you are using regular bananas, add them 15-20 minutes before the meat is done.

Enjoy!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home