Monday, May 4, 2009

Kent in Nairobi

So far so good on flights - as long as I forget about the service on United! Swiss Air from Zurich to Nairobi was much better with a choice of movies, free drinks, decent food and friendlier flight attendants.

I'm trying to Tweet regularly (www.twitter.com/kentredding) so we'll see if that can continue while in Rwanda, gorilla trekking, on Kilimanjaro and on safari in Tanzania and in Zanzibar.
In preparation for our family safari, I've been looking for kid's activities. Zurich Airport has a really nice playroom in terminal E. Amazingly, Jomo Kenyatta International here in Nairobi also has a children's playroom! It is locked but the girl behind the counter says she'll open it up for $5 per kid! I guess it's not for average Kenyan families.

I thought they were upgrading the airport here but the concourse looks the same as it has for years. Still hot, crowded, and lively in a chaotic way. As usual the Kenya Airways transfer desk is a mess-today there was staff running around but only two who seemed to be able to help anyone. My newly purchased Red Carpet Club membership is no good here. At the "first class" lounge, of which two Star Alliance members are listed, only a crisp Andrew Jackson (year 2000 or newer of course) will get you entry. I was going to pay it since they have air conditioning but their one computer was down so I found the nearby Java House Cafe (near Gate 14) has AC too so that is where I'm sitting right now enjoying my Tusker beer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home